Advocacy and Advice Bodies

The Ombudsman has to remain independent in considering complaints and cannot therefore act as an advocate for you. However, it may be that you may need help in making your complaint. If so, below are details of various advice and advocacy organisations who can assist.

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

Customer Contact Unit
Eastbury House
30-34 Albert Embankment
London SE1 7TL
Defra is the UK government department responsible for policy and regulations on the environment, food and rural affairs
0845 933 5577
020 7238 2188
0845 300 1998

Dewis Centre for Independent Living

Amber House
Upper Boat Trading Estate
Upper Boat
Direct Payment support service in three Local Authorities – Rhondda Cynon Taf, Vale of Glamorgan and Merthyr Tydfil. Dewis also provides Advocacy services in six local authorities – Rhondda Cynon Taf, Newport, Conwy, Wrexham, Caerphilly and Pembrokeshire. It works in partnership with the Social Services Departments of each of these authorities.

Disability Can Do Organisation

Penllwyd Millenium Centre
Penllwyn Lane
Blackwood NP12 2BZ
Provision of easily accessible information services for both adults with a disability and/or a sensory impairment, and their carers.

Disability Law Service

Cavell Street
Legal advice helpline for disabled people, their families and carers. Specialist advice on benefits, consumer and contract, community care, discrimination, further and higher education, employment and other disability issues
020 7791 9800
020 7791 9802
020 7791 9801

Disability Wales

Bridge House
Caerphilly Business Park
Van Road
Caerphilly CF83 3GW
Disability Wales is the national association of disabled people's organisations, striving to achieve the rights, equality and independence of disabled people in Wales.